Saturday, October 06, 2007

Making kuwento

"O ano, kumusta ka na? Hindi ka na nagkukuwento," my dad told me the other day just as I was hurrying out to bring my son to school.

"Wala naman akong kuwento. Ayun, ganun pa rin. Nag-e-edit. Nagsusulat. Nagshu-shoot," I said, then proceeded to the garage.

That got me thinking. The conversation seemed weird, considering we all live in the same house. I must have been so busy with work the past few weeks that I just tune out at home.

When I pick up my son from school, I always ask him, "How's school?" When he just replies, "Fine," I probe more: what did you learn, did you have a quiz, did you eat your baon, what fun thing did you do today? I guess my parents must be that interested to know what's going on in my life too. Even now that I'm 30 (the new 40, hehe).

And you being my friends, you must be interested to know what's up with me too.

So here goes:

1. Love life: I met up again with one of my fave makeup artists Barbi this week, and as she was doing my makeup for my editor's photo shoot, she asked me about my love life. I said, "Ten years ago, I prayed to God that if the next one will just be a problem, wag na lang. And since then, wala."

A few Sundays ago, Pastor Peter said something like this, that God will not give us a snake knowing it won't be good for us.

2. My new entertainment find: DZMM on the AM band in the morning. I don't normally tune in to the radio but recent political events just made me hungrier for talk radio. The recent circus brought on by the ZTE broadband hearings was really fun.

Consider this sound bite: "Pinag-aawayan niyo lang ang mga kickback niyo! I resent being made party to this squabble!" I love Miriam Defensor-Santiago for all the quotable quotes she has given us all these years.

3. New place to de-stress: When I got back from the US, my former officemate Elvie invited me to try out the spa services at Footloose in front of ABS-CBN. It's owned by our former boss. I finally got to try the place today, and found the place very calming. I got a foot and back massage, Thai style for P530 for 60 minutes. The foot massage was marvelous! Heard that artistas are regular clients here.

4. New restaurants I've tried: I Have Two Eggs is a classy tapsilog place along Tomas Morato Extension, beside Alex III. I had the adobo rice topping with omelet (every dish on the menu has 2 eggs, your choice of luto) and it was superb. Also tried the choco bibingcrepe at its sister restaurant Half Moon. Yummy!

5. Work: I'm swamped. My friend Erli texted me this recently: "When honoring God is at the top of your to-do list, the rest of your day falls more easily into order. God is the author of organization." That's a nice reminder for all of us.

And that's my kuwento today. What's yours?

BOOK OF THE WEEK: The Manila We Knew, a collection of essays edited by Erlinda Enriquez Panlilio. Women writers share with us their recollections of old Manila before the war (peace time), during the war, and after--the 60s. I love reading this book.

VERSE OF THE WEEK: Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4: 2

No comments: