Monday, October 13, 2008

Peso-pinching

I got depressed just looking at the papers today. All over the world, everyone is on edge waiting to see what else will happen with the world economy on the downturn.

We see the signs of tough times: more crowds at the MRT and less people at McDonald's on a Sunday lunch time. I have friends who have cancelled their newspaper subscriptions and just read the news online. That's a P600 savings per month right there.

I am normally a matipid person, but times call for just a little more peso-pinching.

Here are some of my own saving tactics:

1. Look for a beauty salon that charges less. The old salon I used to go to charges P2K++ per coloring. Now I go to another salon nearer to my place, and I pay only about P1,400 for the same service. I know I could save some more if I take up my friend Jenny's suggestion to use the all-natural Healthy Options Tints of Nature and just color my hair on my own. I just might do that soon.

2. Plan trips. If I'm going to Makati, for instance, I do everything I can there: If I'm attending a press conference or having an interview there, I might as well meet a friend, pick up a check, and shop in the area.

3. Eat more at home. Years ago, my friend Meg got horrified at learning I would eat out for breakfast almost every day after I drop off my son in school. It was my alone time, and I enjoyed doing it. However, she was worried about all that transfat getting into my system. Meg need not worry anymore since I eat more often at home.

4. Use up freebies. I try those sample moisturizers that come with the magazine I read, use the ketchup that goes with the take-out, and make a note to myself to use the gift certificates I receive well before their expiry.

5. Try cheaper alternatives.
Sure, Figaro and Starbucks are a lot better than Country Style brewed coffee, but when the caffeine urge gets to me, I settle for Country Style. That's P38 per cup as against about P85 and up for the gourmet coffee.

6. Pay attention to items on sale. At Book Sale Greenhills, I got books that still look like new -- perfect for Christmas gifts! At Landmark, I got a jacket for my son that's P500 off the regular price.

7. Go local. When shopping for clothes, I prefer patronizing Filipino owned companies. Saves you money and lets you do your bit in helping uplift the local economy.

BOOK OF THE WEEK: The Return to Zion by Bodie Thoene is Book Three of The Zion Chronicles. It is a fiction story set during the founding of Israel as a nation in 1948, when Jews were streaming back to the Promised Land after the Holocaust. Interesting.

VERSE OF THE WEEK
: Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn, the justice of your cause like the noonday sun. Psalm 37:5-6

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or you can wrap your lunch or make baon for lunch . And brew your own coffee.

quietstream said...

Yup :-)

Anonymous said...

Karen dear, I already added you to my blogroll so I can always just go to your site.

Thanks so much for your support.
Keep on blogging!