Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A tea party




"What tea would you like to have? We have oolong, English breakfast, Darjeeling and jasmine," asked the lady serving us at Makati Shangri-La's Lobby Lounge. "English breakfast," I replied, as I was looking forward to having scones as well. It's time for afternoon tea, and time to celebrate my birthday, too. :-)

This was my dad's idea, that instead of the usual birthday dinner, the family will have afternoon tea and listen to live orchestra music. The idea appealed to me, since, after all the eating and merrymaking during the holidays, a "quiet" event would be like a breather.

And so, that afternoon of January 4, pots of tea were placed on our table and trays of scones, too, as well as Filipino snacks like bibingka and ginataan. And while we daintily held our teacups, an all-female orchestra performed lovely melodies from kundiman music to standards and movie themes. And just as I thought no one else in the room aside from those in our two tables knew it was my birthday, the orchestra started playing "Happy birthday" as a chocolate cake was brought in, complete with candle. Perfect!

BOOK OF THE WEEK
: I'm rereading The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian. It's a good reminder to pray for your child's safety, relationships, career choice, and even future spouse.

VERSE OF THE WEEK: "The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face towards you and give you peace." Numbers 6:24-26

Photo by my brother-in-law Joel Pastor

No comments: