Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Happy happy hormones

by Karen Galarpe

Let's see... that's two Happys (by Pharrell Williams), two Septembers (Earth, Wind and Fire), two Boogie Wonderlands (Earth, Wind and Fire), one more Happy, and to catch my breath, one Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Frankie Valli).

Those were for my 30-minute workout today at home, which I am happy to report, I finished. Yay! Never mind the awkward moves (it's true, I have two left feet) but if I can stretch and move and do so without blacking out, then that's good enough for me.

I've been trying to have a healthier lifestyle since last year, and although I think I am more fit now than I was a couple of years ago, I wish I could be more consistent in working out. My mission: 30 minutes a day at least, or on most days. My vision: a flatter tummy, slimmer arms, or, if those two are unreachable, then just a body that's more fit today than yesterday.

And so I cheered myself on as I rose from the comfy armchair I usually plop into when I get home from work. C'mon, Karen, you can do it, I told myself as I set the alarm for 30 minutes afterward on my phone.

So yeah, I did those aerobic/Zumba moves or what passed for those, and although midway I was contemplating ditching the workout and just resort to singing instead (mas kaya yata), I soldiered on, lunges, grapevine steps, and all.

Soon, the alarm rang. But wait, I want one more Happy! And so, one more Happy then. Thirty-four minutes workout today as a result. Happy happy hormones!

Have you done some exercise today? Lately? This year? Go and do something, and if you need some music to groove to, try two Happys, two Septembers, two Boogie Wonderlands, one Can't Take My Eyes Off You, and another dose of Happy. Have a great workout!

BOOK OF THE WEEKI learned so many things about myself and other introverts in this book "Quiet" by Susan Cain. "The same person who would never raise his hand in a lecture hall of two hundred people might blog to two thousand, or two million, without thinking twice." Ha! Is she talking about me? 😂 




VERSE OF THE WEEKAs you do not know the path of the wind, or how the body is formed in a mother’s womb, so you cannot understand the work of God, the Maker of all things. Ecclesiastes 11:5

No comments: