Sunday, December 05, 2010

A mother's oatmeal

Seems I spoke too soon.

Just a few days after I wrote my previous blog post on how to survive Christmas, I find myself violating one of them: get plenty of rest.

So here I am with a giant ball of some sort stuck in my throat, it seems, and swallowing food or drink has been difficult for the 3rd day in a row ('di ba halata sa NCAD party? hahaha).

And because symptoms come in groups (they don't like solo flights), I also had fever last night, body aches up to now, and sticky phlegm. Sorry for the TMI.

But this post isn't really about that. It's to say how loved I feel whenever I am sick.

My mom checked on me throughout the night, and this morning made me some oatmeal.

Yup, at my age, I still yearn for some motherly care, and I feel so blessed to have my 79-year-old mom still strong enough to cook some oatmeal for me.

My son, aged 15, on the other hand, brought me a glass of water, which he doesn't usually do.

I am in bed right now, nursing whatever thing this is (my niece, a doctor, texted to say it must be upper respiratory infection), and hoping it would last a little bit more so I can have a taste of my mom's home-cooked oatmeal again tomorrow.

KSP? Yeah, guilty.

BOOK OF THE WEEK: I've had the book Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges for quite some time now, and I've gone through most of the chapters with my Bible study group. We may be so conscious of avoiding the big sins (murder, adultery, etc.) that we may have become so short-sighted as to not have the same vigilance over "small" or "respectable" sins such as pride, envy, ungodliness, and so forth. Worth reading.

VERSE OF THE WEEK: "Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you!" Isaiah 49:15

No comments: