Friday, January 04, 2019

25 things I have learned so far

After greeting me a happy birthday this morning, someone asked me via Viber today what I have learned so far and what I am looking forward to. Wait, that deserves a more lengthy reply, I said. 😀 

I’ve learned so many things in my 52 years of living (yup, no use hiding my age) and here are some of them:

1. Eat on time.
2. Have some time to be quiet.
3. Exercise at least 30 minutes a day on most days.
4. It pays to sleep early.
5. You don’t have to go to every party.
6. People may forget bylines but not the way you treat them.
7. Integrity is what you do when no one is watching.
8. Drink lots of water.
9. Set your priorities right: God first, then family, then work.
10. Rest. You’re not a superhero.
11. Love your family and spend time with them.
12. Read. It widens your world.
13. Read the Bible. Feed your soul.
14. Dark chocolates are healthy and a great way to cap the meal. Meiji Black is yum!
15. Make time to meet friends and listen to what they have to say.
16. Be friends with your exes (generally).
17. Eat more veggies.
18. Make friends with the watch your car boy and parking attendant.
19. Listen to your body.
20. Find a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life.
21. Pursue your passion.
22. Learn something new every day.
23. Sing when you feel like singing even when in the car alone.
24. Travel, even by yourself, to recharge.
25. You may not see the future, and clouds may be blocking your view (as in a video I took this morning in Tagaytay) but with God, everything will be alright. ❤️




As to what I am looking forward to, just more of some peace and quiet, as I trust God that He’s in control.

BOOK OF THE WEEK: My sister told me about this book written by her classmate's mother who is already in her 90s. I got curious and asked if the author is Lourdes Syquia-Bautista. Yes, she's the author of "Faith, Family and Friends: A Celebration of God's Goodness." I was ecstatic to have the chance to read this book (my sister lent me her copy given by her classmate) written by Mrs. Bautista, wife of our adviser in The Varsitarian when I was in college, the late Felix Bautista. She is also the mother of my editor-in-chief at The Varsitarian, Noel Martin Bautista. Small world! I'm in the first few chapters already and it's a good engaging read. Mrs. Bautista, who taught English for decades, writes very well. This book collates her articles for the Philippine Daily Inquirer and Life Today.

VERSE OF THE WEEK: The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. ~ Psalm 23:1-3



No comments: